Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Top 11 Horror Video Games


In honor of Halloween I have made my top 11 list of my best horror video games. This is a genre I don’t play as much so if there is a game you love in this genre I apologize. If I haven’t played the game I can’t put it on the list though. So here is my top 11 best horror video games list. Why top 11? Like the Nostalgia Critic I like to go one step beyond.

11. MediEvil – This is a fun unique game. You are Sir Daniel Fortesque back from the dead as a Skeletal Corpses (in other words a Zombie with a fully functional brain and motor skills for the most part). Sir Dan is summoned back from the dead to fight the evil sorcerer Zarok. Sir Dan had slain Zarok during his life among the living so it’s fitting that he emerges again to fight Zarok once again.

10. Ghosts ‘n Goblins & Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts – These games are very hard but they are so much fun. This game isn’t the scariest game but its jam packed with Horror. These are very hard games just like a lot of games were in the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

9. Silent Hill – I’ve only played the first game in the series and it is very scary and very fun. I’ve always wanted to play other games in the series but I never got around to it.

8. Resident Evil 1 & 2 – These games make the list because they reinvented the horror genre. They made the survivor horror video game the way it is today. I remember playing these games with my Sister and Brother-In-Law in a pitch black room with only the TV for light. In short that was scary.

7. Doom – One of the best FPS games that still stacks up to the games of this generation. It was a great horror game you got to fight all types of demons and monsters.

6. Resident Evil Code Veronica – I love this game it may not be part of the main series but it should be. Code Veronica is a great Resident Evil game and it out now for the Xbox 360 so you should get it if you like Resident Evil.

5. Resident Evil 4 – This is the best Resident Evil game made to date it improved on everything in the series.

4. Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 – Best multiplayer survivor horror games. L4D2 adds Melee weapons but there games are pretty much the same just with different missions and characters. This is another game that is scary and with TV series out like The Walking Dead you are going to have nightmares about the Zombie Apocalypse.

3. Plants vs. Zombies – Not a very scary game but so much fun. Zombies want to eat your brains and you must protect your house (and yourself) with plants. This is one of the best Tower Defense game ever.

2. Bioshock 1 & 2 – Bioshock 1 has one the best Single Player campaigns ever this game is very creepy and it has an eerie feeling the whole way through. Bioshock 2 is lots of fun it may not be as good as the first but it deserves to be on this list because it gave us Multiplayer in the Bioshock universe and it was a lot of fun.

1. Castlevania Series – I love these games some are definitely better than other but I love playing all of them I will focus of my favorite in the series Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. This is of my favorite games of all times and it’s a pure masterpiece. You are Alucard the son of Dracula and Alucard (if you didn’t already notice Alucard is Dracula spelled backwards) wants to take his father down and you will fight all types of creatures of the night in these games. Now let go back to where it started for me the Castlevania trilogy for the NES. The Belmont clan has been slaying Dracula for centuries and they have had help from other as well but the Belmonts are the one who are burdened with there just because they are a Belmont. So if you are born into the Belmont clan in any way you are destined to keep evil at bay and destroy Dracula if you must. Since Dracula never dies it will happen. There are many Castlevania games I love them all some more than others but if you only play one game in the series play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Then go and play the rest of the games especially the ones on the NES and SNES.

Honorable Mentioning

Deadrising, Deadrising 2, Diablo, Diablo II, Doom II, Doom 3, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 3, Zombies ate my Neighbors,

Many may not consider Diablo a horror game but you do venture into Hell and fight Diablo himself along with Zombies, Demons, and much more.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment